Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Tempdrom, Berlin
- A big band of 12 world class musicians is a truly wonderful thing.
- The E Street Band isn’t the only one with a cool, long curly haired saxophonist. Kebbi Williams sprang into action straightaway on the first song, Don’t Know What it Means and just got better as the evening went on.
- The drum solo is not a thing of the past. Particularly when you’ve got TWO top notch drummers. Tyler Greenwell and J. J. Johnson drove the music forward, with an uncanny, in-sync timing.
- The 8-12 minute song in a live setting is what concerts are made for. Seriously – so good were the song arrangements and so outstanding the musicianship, you were disappointed when each song came to a conclusion.
- Derek Trucks is a peerless electric slide guitarist. Make that guitarist, full stop. Playing in open E tuning mostly, he makes that Gibson SG sing. And he doesn’t use a pick. And, given half a chance, he’ll throw in a few Indian-sounding licks.
- Susan Tedeschi is an excellent guitarist but an INCREDIBLE singer. Blues, soul, Gospel, Americana – doesn’t matter, she’ll nail it. Make no mistake, this band is awesome – but Susan Tedeschi is the glue that holds it together, the voice that makes it all work.
- If you have vocalists in the band like Mike Mattison, Mark Rivers and Alecia Chakour, you can afford to do a spiritual (Anyhow My Lord) right bang in the middle of the concert.
One final thing – from what I can gather, it’s a rather German thing to do – my camera was taken from me as I entered the Tempdrom. This I consider mean and just pointless. Never happened to me before in the UK, Ireland or US, for big name or less well known artists. Grrrr.
Here’s the setlist if you’re interested:
Set 1 (70 min)
- Don’t Know What It Means
- Keep On Growing (Derek and the Dominos cover)
- Bird on the Wire (Leonard Cohen cover)
- Laugh About It
- Right on Time
- Leaving Trunk (Sleepy John Estes cover)
- Volunteered Slavery (Rahsaan Roland Kirk cover)
- Ali (Miles Davis cover) (with Jeff Taylor)
- Let Me Get By
Set 2 (85 min)
- Anyhow My Lord (Spiritual) / Anyhow
- Comin’ Home (Delaney & Bonnie cover)
- Midnight in Harlem
- Bound for Glory
- Angel From Montgomery (John Prine cover)
- Sugaree (Jerry Garcia cover)
- How Blue Can You Get (B.B. King cover)
- I Want More
- Soul Sacrifice (Santana cover)
- Let’s Go Get Stoned (The Coasters cover)